Regrooving and Retreading
Prolong the life of your tyres!
MICHELIN casings are designed to be regrooved and retreaded several times. Through professional management adapted to your activity, MICHELIN casings can help to maximise your profitability without compromising on safety and still reducing the impact on the environment!
- (1) In relation to the period in which the tread pattern was worn down. Michelin references – test conducted on polished concrete.
- (2) TNPF Recommendations - April 2013.
- (3) 1.94 litre/100 km comparative test legally witnessed and certified in June 2007 at the Ladoux Testing Centre.
- (4) 2014 Internal MICHELIN price reporting conducted by an external organisation.
Designed for you
EXPERTS STRIVING TO ENSURE YOUR SAFETY
INCREASE THE LIFE OF YOUR TYRES
PREMIUM INSPECTION FOR PREMIUM RETREADING
Michelin tyres are regrooved by removing 3-4 mm of rubber from the base of the tread pattern. It can be done on a new Michelin truck tyre or a Michelin Remix® tyre. Regrooving optimises mileage potential, reduces fuel consumption and improves grip for your tyres.
WHY REGROOVE ?
ENTRUSTED TO A SPECIALIST,REGROOVING MEANS 3 ADVANTAGESFOR THE TRUCKING BUSINESS
…IF CARRIED OUT BY A SPECIALIST,REGROOVING A TYRE
HAS NO IMPACT ON ITS ACCEPTABILITY FOR RETREADING
(1) Compared with the performance of the same tyres when worn out. MICHELIN references - test conducted on polished concrete.
(2) Example of a set of tyres used to cover 120.000 km per annum with 25% of regrooved tyres in contact with the road surface.
(3) Internal Michelin references: average measurement for the 4 principal sizes on the market (315/80 R 22.5, 315/70 R 22.5, 385/65 R 22.5 and 13 R 22.5).
Michelin recommends regrooving when the tread pattern is worn down to 2-4 mm.
Regrooving is performed by a network of service providers.When regrooving is done to our recommendations, a protective ply ensures the durability of the crown ply grip and the integrity of the casing’s inner structure.
New Michelin tyres and Michelin Remix® tyres, have a consistent depth of the undertread rubber (4-5 mm)
Regrooving a tyre does not affect acceptance for Michelin Remix®.
Regrooving restores sharp edges and increases tread depth to 6-8 mm. This leads to improved grip for your tyre and optimum safety on the road.
On wet roads, your truck’s regrooved tyres improve transverse grip and traction by up to 10% when compared to similarly worn non regrooved tyres (1).
(1) Michelin sources – Test performed on polished concrete.
Regrooving extends the potential life of both new Michelin tyres and Michelin Remix® tyres because it increases the remaining tread depth, leading to 20-25% improved mileage.
Fuel consumption is directly affected by rolling resistance.
Regrooving is done when a tyre’s rolling resistance is at its lowest, with minimal tread distortion and reduced heat build up in the casing
Regrooving enables the use of the tyre for longer in it's most fuel efficient condition.
Respect for the environment!
By reducing fuel consumption, regrooved Michelin tyres save up to a total of 1.6 tons of CO2 emissions every year (2), helping to protect the environment.
Every four regrooved tyres save one new Michelin tyre, which represents 70 kg of raw materials that are not used (3) and one less scrap tyre casing
(2) Based on a tractor unit and trailer travelling 120,000 km/year with a 25% regrooved tyre road rate.
(3) Internal Michelin sources: Average weight measured on four standard industry dimensions (315/80 R 22.5; 315/70 R 22.5; 385/65 R 22.5; 13 R 22.5).
Michelin tyre regrooving meets European legislation and current laws in European countries. Regulations in most countries stipulate that truck tyres can be regrooved if the “Regroovable” indicator or U symbol is displayed on the sidewalls and the regrooving is done by professionals according to industry standards.
Regrooving is a practice recommended by ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation).
MICHELIN Remix® retreading increases the performance of your tyres. Even better, it helps you make savings and gives your greater flexibility of use while making you a player in sustainable transport.
MICHELIN Remix® retreaded tyres provide the same performance as new MICHELIN tyres, especially in terms of safety, robustness and mileage, and guarantee:
To make savings, play a role insustainable transport and benefit fromflexible use
(1) Internal tests IN 2013. Life span of a MICHELIN Remix® tyre = 97% of the life span of a new Michelin tyre of the same dimension
(2) European average, internal pricing information in 2014 and Internet price study carried out by an external organisation in.
(3) 350 retread/new tyre combinations available with MICHELIN Remix® retreading.
(4) MICHELIN Remix® retreading only requires adding, on average, 20kg of raw materials, equivalent to a saving of 70% compared with the purchase of a new tyre.
A MICHELIN Remix® retread gives you up to 100% more mileage* at around 60% of the price of a new MICHELIN tyre**. A dual source of savings!
Moreover, with their high quality casings, the final cost can be even lower as MICHELIN tyres can be retreaded several times. An effective way of optimising your costs.
* Based on the fact that for the majority of sizes, the amount of rubber and the rubber mixtures used are identical for new MICHELIN tyres and MICHELIN Remix® retreaded tyres.
** Internal price reporting 2014 and Internet price reporting carried out by an external organisation 2014.
MICHELIN Remix® retreaded tyres represent a flexible solution as they enable you to make the most of your tyres, which can even be redesigned for different uses.
With a retreaded tyre, you have the choice between several fitting options and several positions. You can therefore get as much as possible out of your tyre inventory.
With MICHELIN Remix® retreading you can also adapt your tyre tread to your usage. Your Michelin dealer can offer you up to 350 possible combinations!
More environmental friendliness
Retreading is a solution that protects the environment.
By extending a tyre's service life, MICHELIN Remix® retreading reduces the number of new tyres used.
It should also be noted that retreading saves raw materials. In concrete terms, for each MICHELIN Remix® retreading, 50 kg of raw material are saved. On average, only about 20 kilos of materials are added, saving 70% compared to a newly manufactured tyre!
Learn more about MICHELIN Remix® retreads
An expert retreader for nearly a century, Michelin developed the MICHELIN Remix® technology.
This exclusive expertise consists in replacing a worn tyre tread on a certified and prepared MICHELIN casing.
Carried out by our experts using advanced industrial technologies, MICHELIN Remix® retreading meets all your safety, savings and environmental needs.